CharacterPlus®, a resource of EducationPlus®, congratulates the 18 member schools that have been named a “Missouri and Illinois School of Character” by Character.org. Missouri again claimed more State Schools of Character this year than any other state. These schools have demonstrated that their focus on character development has had a positive impact on academic achievement, student behavior and school climate. Nationally, only 68 schools and 4 districts from 16 states received the honor this year, 25% of the schools recognized were CharacterPlus members.
Recognition as a State School of Character is a prerequisite to Character.org’s National Schools of Character (NSOC) program. The goal is to recognize schools and districts that demonstrate an exemplary level of implementation of the Eleven Principles of Effective Character Education (http://character.org/more-resources/11-principles/).
Schools will hold this status for three years. If they become a National School of Character, they will hold title for five years. This year seven CharacterPlus schools and one district reapplied to become a State School and District of Character showing the sustainability and growth this process offers. The schools recognized this year as State Schools of Character are:
- Bayless School District – Bayless Elementary and the Bayless School District
- Belleville #118 School District ( IL)- Abraham Lincoln Elementary
- Fox School District – Don Earl Early Childhood Learning Center and George Guffey Elementary
- Lindbergh Schools-Sappington Elementary
- Mehlville School District – John Cary Early Childhood Center
- Parkway Schools- Barretts Elementary and Craig Elementary
- Rockwood School District – Bowles Elementary, Geggie Elementary, Uthoff Valley Elementary, Woerther Elementary and the Rockwood School District
- Saint Louis Public Schools – Kennard Classical Junior Academy and Woerner Elementary
- Lincoln County R3 School District- Lincoln Elementary
- Valley Park District- Valley Park Middle School
- Cape Giradeau School District- Alma Schrader Elementary
- Parkway Schools- Parkway Southwest Middle School
The State Schools of Character program in Missouri is administered by CharacterPlus and is generously supported by the NFL Rams. Thanks to a State Farm Good Neighbor grant, the principals from Kennard Classical Academy and Woerner Elementary have been part of a Saint Louis Public Schools CharacterPlus principal cohort to help train and implement character education in their schools.