The Department of Elementary and Secondary Education announced Affton High School teacher Cathy Cartier has been named Missouri Teacher of the Year for 2012-13. Cartier has taught in Affton for nearly a decade. She has served as curriculum co-chair for English language arts, and, according to DESE, she spearheaded preparation for the school’s end-of-course testing. She and five other finalists for the Missouri award will be honored at a banquet in October in Jefferson City. Cartier will then represent Missouri in the National Teacher of the Year competition. Affton Superintendent Steve Brotherton shared the good news with Cartier and her colleagues at an all-district meeting today; to see images from the event, click here.
The other finalists for this award included two educators from the St. Louis metro area:
- Jeanie Cook, a kindergarten teacher at Pleasant Lea Elementary School, Lee’s Summit School District
- Stephen Schwartz, a first grade teacher at Valley Park Elementary School, Valley Park School District
- Donna Terrell, an art teacher at Fort Osage High School, Fort Osage School District
- Nichole Tews, an English teacher at Cass Career Center, Harrisonville School District
- Janice Wenger, a gifted education teacher at the Center for Creative Learning, Rockwood School District